[j-nsp] Quewstion about IP flow table size for inline flow sampling

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Mon Jun 23 13:44:52 EDT 2014

Hi,
	I am presently using inline flow sampling on a series of MX480s.  There is an IP table that can be set from 1 to 15 and is based in multiples of 256.  I’m not sure how to calculate my IPv4 table size.  It’s presently set to 5 per the KB article but I’m wondering if this is correct.  I’m presently exporting about 7K flows per second and could theoretically burst much higher than that if the CDN in front of my content were to go away or change.  What’s a rule of thumb for calculating the correct table size.  Suppose I want to scale say from 7K to 21K flows per second how would I pick the correct table value / what’s the calculation I do to find that value.  Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Scott