[j-nsp] Netconf & namespaces

Phil Shafer phil at juniper.net
Wed Jun 25 11:57:32 EDT 2014

Phil Mayers writes:
>OTOH I've seem XML come back from some devices like this:
><rpc-reply>
>   <namspaced:tag>
>i.e. no xmlns for the namespace on a tag. This is just broken, and
>really hard to deal with using normal XML libraries.

Yes, that would definitely be a bug.

>I don't think netconf wants to end up like XMPP where you have to use a
>custom XML parser and serialiser just to make it go, at which point you
>might as well not have used XML. We're still early enough into Netconf
>that we might be able to dodge that, if enough people push back on it.

Definitely not.  NETCONF should be real standard XML content.

>>      ns junos = "http://xml.juniper.net/junos/*/junos";
>
>Yeah, that's kind of annoying... I do wonder why you didn't rev the
>version number on dialect changes rather than software version cahnges,
>but I guess it's too late to go back on that one.

We wanted to have specific XSD to match each version of JUNOS, so
if we add (or remove) an enumeration from a leaf, or extent the range,
or add a new leaf, you can validate your configuration against an
XSD (or YANG module) that's specific to your version of JUNOS.

In retrospect, perhaps I should have used an out-of-band mechanism
for this.  But I was trying to use as much of the standard bits as
possible.

Thanks,
 Phil