[j-nsp] Usage of older M10 Juniper

Tyler Christiansen tyler at adap.tv
Thu Jun 26 17:38:56 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Robert Hass <robhass at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I have old M10 router. I would like to use it for one customer.
>
> Router has Enhanced FEB, RE600-2048 and 3 GE PE PICs.
>
> My questions :
> 1) How much full-BGP feeds I can have on this machine ?

​Personal experience puts a current full table at ~500MB.  You could
comfortably hold 2 tables.  Possibly 3 depending on your other
configurations and how far to the edge you want to go.

Your CPU should be okay, but it's been a while since I've worked on
anything less than RE800s.  You should probably optimize your configuration
to reduce CPU load as much as possible, though.​

> 2) Which JunOS version you can recommend for this old buddy ?

​Whichever one has the fewest bugs and greatest stability for your required
feature set.  Sucky answer, but different releases provide different
features and present different bugs.​

3) How big FIB is available for IPv4 on Enhanced FEB ?

​I don't think that Juniper publishes the FIB size for FEB-M10-E, but a
previous employer had one in a lab with ~500k entries.

--tc