[j-nsp] Multicast/Broadcast Packets going to EX CPU

Clarke Morledge chmorl at wm.edu
Mon Mar 10 17:12:30 EDT 2014

------------------------------
Sebastian,

We are using a combination of storm-control and firewall filters, just to
throttle the multicast back. Nothing special. Since we are not officially
supporting multicast applications, this has not really hurt us yet.

Clarke

* Clarke Morledge <chmorl at wm.edu> [2014-03-06 16:42]:
> Sebastian,
>
> No, you are not alone on this issue.
>
> For a little more context, I have seen the same type of behavior
> associated with Apple Bonjour traffic related to
> Multicast DNS reported on this thread in November, 2013:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nsp/juniper/48269?do=post_view_flat#48269
>
> Currently, we are implementing ways of limiting multicast.  I am
> aware that this is more of a "bandaid" approach, but I have never
> heard a completely satisfactory explanation or solution for this
> behavior on the EX platform.

Thank you for your reply,

can you share a bit more about what countermeasures you are
implementing? storm-control? firewall filters?

> If anyone comes up with some good answers, please inform the list.

+1

Regards

Sebastian