[j-nsp] SRX with Avaya IP Office

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Wed Mar 12 10:49:25 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 01:33:52AM +1100, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Hey Dan,
>
> So if you want to support 20 simultaneous calls you'd need 40 port
> forwards?

Basically, yes.

I set it up like this:
   application rtp {
        protocol udp;
        destination-port 10000-10042;
        description "VoIP RTP";
    }

And then permit that from internet to the server IP.
(Also junos-sip.)

> I'm not a VoIP guy... is that just the way Avaya works? or could I setup
> something else... like an Asterix/Freeswitch box with a SIP trunk to the
> Avaya and do less port forwards?

I don't know if Avaya supports IAX2 trunks, but if they do, you
put a SIP box on the outside -- Asterisk or SER or whatever is
comfortable for you -- and run a single IAX2 TCP port from that
box to the Avaya.

Really, PBXen ought to be in a DMZ environment whenever
possible.

-dsr-