[j-nsp] Do the old M-series fixed optic SONET/SDH PICs wear out?

Will Orton will at loopfree.net
Sat Mar 15 11:29:55 EDT 2014

I've come across things like:
http://assets.newport.com/webDocuments-EN/images/AN29_Life_Test_Laser_Diode_1310nm_IX.PDF

Which seem to indicate that 30,000-50,000 hours of life from a 1310nm laser diode
is within reason (but that's at 60C, and with control circuitry that limits to
20% increase in drive current, and putting out 5mW which is more power than the
SM-IR I have). I know for sure that the modules I have have been live for at
least 70,000 hours, and they were probably 4-5 years old when I got them, and
they were older than the tech referenced in that 2006 paper.

If this is all the case it seems like we'd be seeing lots of early-2000's fixed
optic Juniper PICs start dying. Maybe enough have come out of service that people
just trash them without comment.

-Will