[j-nsp] Inline IPfix flow export to multiple collectors?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Mar 21 09:05:14 EDT 2014

We're using the inline IPfix export capability on MX Trio cards (in
our case MPC-3D-16XGE-SFPP) to send IPfix flows to a collector:

me at br1.xxx> show configuration forwarding-options sampling
instance inline-netflow
input {
    rate 100;
    run-length 0;
}
family inet {
    output {
        flow-server a.b.c.d {
            port 2055;
            autonomous-system-type origin;
            no-local-dump;
            version-ipfix {
                template {
                    ipv4;
                }
            }
        }
        inactive: flow-server e.f.g.h {
            port 2055;
            autonomous-system-type origin;
            no-local-dump;
            version-ipfix {
                template {
                    ipv4;
                }
            }
        }
        inline-jflow {
            source-address p.q.r.s;
        }
    }
}

We would like to duplicate the flows and send to another collector.
However, if we try to activate the second flow-server stanza in the
config above, the config won't commit:

me at br1.xxx# commit check
re0:
[edit forwarding-options sampling instance inline-netflow family inet
output flow-server e.f.g.h]
  cflowd configuration error
    instance "'inline-netflow" family "inet", cannot configure more
than 1 ipfix collectors

error: configuration check-out failed

Has anybody found a good solution to this problem? Performing the
flow duplication on an external server is of course a possibility,
but it would be much more convenient to have the MX duplicate the
flows.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no