[j-nsp] poll physical GigE and all its VLAN sub-interfaces counters over SNMP with single SNMP GetRequest query

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Mon May 5 14:39:57 EDT 2014

Saku,

I noticed that while counters in "show interfaces" output are updated
with about 1s interval, then counters asked using SNMP are updated
with 5s interval. Platform is MX series router.
I *think* I am polling IFD. SNMP IfIndex 723 is from "show interfaces
ge-0/0/3" output. I can confirm this with:

$ snmpget -Oq -v 2c -c public 10.10.10.254 ifDescr.723
IF-MIB::ifDescr.723 ge-0/0/3
$

Still, ifInOctets and ifInUcastPkts differ in orders of magnitude from
"Input  bytes" and "Input  packets" counter values in "show interfaces
ge-0/0/3 extensive" output. Any ideas?

regards,
Martin