[j-nsp] Juniper MVPN and tunnel interfaces.

Misak Khachatryan m.khachatryan at gnc.am
Fri May 16 08:28:56 EDT 2014

Hello,

I have two MX80 router configured for MVPN multicast almost same way -
both receiver only sites. One of the is able to serve multicast to
connected customers, another one - not. Everything is checked - configs
is almost the same, all type routes is in place on both routers, but one
of them simply doesn't serving multicast.

I decided to configure virtual tunnel on that router and it starts
serving multicast, which is wrong for me. According to Juniper, You
should only configure vt interface in sites, where sources are present,
but i explicitly setting them as receiver-site.

Can anybody explain me the situation? The only thing is wrong I've found
on faulty router is that "Wrong incoming interface notifications"
counter is growing, with vt and without it. On other routers everything
is ok.

shmisak at MX80-HRAZDAN> show multicast route extensive instance IPTV
Instance: IPTV Family: INET

Group: 239.255.0.3
     Source: 10.0.242.117/32
     Upstream interface: vt-1/0/10.0
     Downstream interface list:
         ae4.3093
     Number of outgoing interfaces: 1
     Session description: Organisational Local Scope
     Statistics: 762 kBps, 567 pps, 1300332 packets
     Next-hop ID: 1048582
     Upstream protocol: MVPN
     Route state: Active
     Forwarding state: Forwarding
     Cache lifetime/timeout: forever
     Wrong incoming interface notifications: 3704
     Uptime: 00:38:14

misak at MX80-HRAZDAN> show configuration routing-instances IPTV
instance-type vrf;
interface vt-1/0/10.0 {
     multicast;
}
interface ae4.3093;
interface lo0.1;
route-distinguisher 10.255.255.25:3093;
vrf-target target:65500:3093;
vrf-table-label;
protocols {
     pim {
         rp {
             static {
                 address 10.0.238.6;
             }
         }
         interface all {
             mode sparse;
             version 2;
             hello-interval 0;
         }
     }
     mvpn {
         receiver-site;
     }
}

On this router for example everything is fine:

misak at mx-gavar> show multicast route extensive instance IPTV
Instance: IPTV Family: INET

Group: 239.255.0.3
     Source: 10.0.242.117/32
     Upstream interface: lsi.1
     Downstream interface list:
         xe-0/0/2.3093
     Number of outgoing interfaces: 1
     Session description: Organisational Local Scope
     Statistics: 762 kBps, 567 pps, 682565 packets
     Next-hop ID: 1048642
     Upstream protocol: MVPN
     Route state: Active
     Forwarding state: Forwarding
     Cache lifetime/timeout: forever
     Wrong incoming interface notifications: 0
     Uptime: 00:20:05

misak at mx-gavar> show configuration routing-instances IPTV

instance-type vrf;
interface xe-0/0/2.3093;
interface ge-1/1/9.3093;
interface lo0.1;
route-distinguisher 10.255.255.33:3093;
vrf-target target:65500:3093;
vrf-table-label;
protocols {
     pim {
         rp {
             static {
                 address 10.0.238.6;
             }
         }
         interface all {
             mode sparse;
             version 2;
             hello-interval 0;
         }
     }
     mvpn {
         receiver-site;
     }
}

Both are JunOS 12.3R5.7. Any help appreciated.

--
Best regards,
Misak Khachatryan