[j-nsp] MX104 with full BGP table problems

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Sun May 18 06:57:59 EDT 2014

> You can cool a Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU in a laptop at +40C degrees in direct
> sunlight outside (e.g. Panasonic Thoughbook) and they can't cool the same
> type of CPU in a datacenter with ~20-22 degrees ambient temperature and
> very powerful fans that are present in a router? I doubt it that the Xeon
> versions of those CPUs produce much more heat. Factor in the fact that they
> can go all SSD and you can have a very small package that can act as a RE
> (think of a very mini mini version of Intel NUC).

The 104s are rated for use in -40 to +65° C and based on the form-factor are designed for use in areas a little less comfortable than your average data centre (places where MX80s are not designed to go like de-mountables/cabinets).

> There has to be another reason for the crappy REs in these routers.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised the 104s maintained the same CPU, but I guess it meant much less code re-spin.

Looking forward to the day when there is a commonish RE (eg: intel-based) for all REs across the fleet.  You would think this would save a pile of development work...