[j-nsp] Trio Bandwidth

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri May 30 13:32:09 EDT 2014

Hi all,
I'm trying to clear something up that's been bothering me for some time and that is the MPC1/MPC2/MPC3E actual bandwidth specs.  I know from various sources that the MPC1 has a single Trio chipset, MPC2 has two Trio chipsets, and the MPC3E has a single enhanced Trio chipset.

The question I have is related to bandwidth.  The Juniper MX Series book says the MPC1 is 40Gb/s throughput, the MPC2 is 80Gb/s throughput, and the MPC3E is 130Gb/s throughput.  Are these numbers in "full duplex" rates, ie. the MPC2 can only handle 4x10G ports total before it is oversubscribed?  Or is the total throughput on each one really 80Gb/s, 160Gb/s, and 260Gb/s bi-directionally?

Bonus question - what does the 'Enhanced' portion of the MPC1E/MPC2E provide over the original non-E versions?

Thanks,
evt