[j-nsp] EX4550 L2Circuit/VPN to MX80/lt Interface SOLVED

Raphael Mazelier raph at futomaki.net
Tue Nov 18 06:40:36 EST 2014

So to end this thread with some kind of success :)
And to sum up what work and what didn't.

So basic l2circuit (CCC/Ldp signaling) between my EX and MX with lt
interface finally work with a config as simple as :

EX side :

ge-0/0/10 {
     encapsulation ethernet-ccc;
     unit 0 {
         family ccc;
     }
}
l2circuit {
     neighbor 10.10.176.10 {
         interface ge-0/0/10.0 {
             virtual-circuit-id 10666;
             no-control-word;
         }
     }
}

MX side :

lt-1/1/10 {
     unit 0 {
         encapsulation ethernet-ccc;
         peer-unit 1;
         family ccc;
     }
     unit 1 {
         encapsulation ethernet;
         peer-unit 0;
         family inet {
             address 10.1.1.6/24;
         }
     }
}
l2circuit {
     neighbor 10.10.176.13 {
         interface lt-1/1/10.0 {
             virtual-circuit-id 10666;
             no-control-word;
         }
     }
}

What's wrong with my EX was the interco between the EX and the next core
router. When It was tagged everything work (ISIS, MBGP, LDP, L3VPN),
except the l2circuit ?!

Even if it was a bad idea to use tagged interco it's a bit surprising
(and remember the original idea was to backhaul transit customer to core
with vlan).

Little experiment with EX4550 give me also some result I can share :

- l2circuit with vlan-ccc encapsulation work as well, but with a liltte
trick in the interface configuration on the ex-side (unless the
l2circuit report Encapsultion Invalid) ex :

ge-0/0/10 {
     encapsulation vlan-ccc;
     vlan-tagging;
     unit 66 {
         encapsulation vlan-ccc;  < this is redundant but needed
         vland-id 66;
         family ccc;
     }
}

- connections ccc (rsvp based) seems to works as well, but I don't want
to use rsvp in my network by now.

- l2vpn ccc (bgp signalling) didn't work on EX, configuration passed
with ethernet-ccc encapsulation, not vlan-ccc so I think it was not
supported. This is uncool since I think it was the better approach.
Anyway the cool thing with l2circuit is that there was inter operable
with other vendor.

- vpls didn't work at all on EX4550 (but that's clear on the specsheat)

- l3vpn is quite limited in term of routing instance and route, but work.

Another things I try is to separate fib/rib to show how much route an
ex4550 can manage in his rib. OK I know this is bad idea :)
The answer is 300K route approx before rpd crash.
So no full view, even only in RIB.

After all this cheap switch was making his job. Good value for money.

Thks for all.

--
Raphael Mazelier
AS39605