[j-nsp] mx80 napt-44 with ms-mic on 13.2R5

ryanL ryan.landry at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 02:34:07 EDT 2014

hi. i've got nat working now, much thanks to everyone's tips. a final
question on this topic (i promise).

how important is it for the ms-mic (in the mx80) to see the in/out
traffic happen on the same interfaces? for example, i have multiple
transit connections. the nat outbound packet could go out one transit,
return via another mx80, and then cross an iBGP session back to the
"originating" mx80 where the nat config lives.

i've been able to confirm that if i move traffic in and out of the
same router, it's no problem. but as soon as i introduce some
asymmetry i tend to get into a bind where curl hangs. we can safely
assume acl's are not the issue in this scenario, and i'm not using any
of the stateful firewall features of the ms-mic.

thx!

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM, ryanL <ryan.landry at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> alex, thank you. very helpful. of course i particularly like your
>> alternative, and that's what i thought i was accomplishing in the first
>> place. guess not!
>>
>> can you explain the diff between `set firewall family inet service-filter`
>> vs the documentation example which references `set services
>> stateful-firewall` as part of the services set, and which is more
>> appropriate to use here in an ms-mic situation?
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Alexander Arseniev
>> <arseniev at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I see You are using interface-style NAT - please exclude all control
>>> traffic in the service-filters from being diverted to MS-MIC, like below
>>> (rough cut, only BGP and BFD are excluded as an example):
>>>
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 1 from protocol tcp
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 1 from port 179
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 1 then skip
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 2 from protocol udp
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 2 from port [ 3784
>>> 4784 ]
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 2 then skip
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 3 then service
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 1 from protocol tcp
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 1 from port 179
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 1 then skip
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 2 from protocol udp
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 2 from port [ 3784
>>> 4784 ]
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 2 then skip
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 3 then service
>>> set interfaces ge-0/0/0.0 family inet service input service-set SSET1
>>> service-filter sf-in
>>> set interfaces ge-0/0/0.0 family inet service output service-set SSET1
>>> service-filter sf-out
>>>
>>> Alternatively, You can construct service-filters in such a way that only
>>> "interested" traffic is diverted to MS-MIC:
>>>
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 1 from source-address
>>> 10/8
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 1 from
>>> destination-address 0/0
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 1 from
>>> destination-address 10/8 except
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 1 then service
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-in term 2 then skip
>>>
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 1 from
>>> destination-address <your nat pool route here>
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 1 then service
>>> set firewall family inet service-filter sf-out term 2 then skip
>>>
>>> set interfaces ge-0/0/0.0 family inet service input service-set SSET1
>>> service-filter sf-in
>>> set interfaces ge-0/0/0.0 family inet service output service-set SSET1

>>> Thanks