[j-nsp] Using Cisco SFP's on Juniper 4500's

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Fri Sep 12 10:16:03 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 03:57:14AM -0400, youza fuuccingbitth wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are short juniper copper SFP, but have an excess of Cisco copper SFP's.
> Is it possible to use Cisco copper SFP's on Juniper ? A colleague said the
> Cisco will work but always show up/up even if nothing is connected. Has
> anyone use Cisco copper SFP's on juniper and what was the result?

	We have had mixed results depending which match up with what
our 3rd party optics supplier has told us as well.  They will sell us
generic tri-rate copper SFPs but recommend against using theirs unless
you test each use-case specifically.

	We've seen the software report link-up when there is nothing
connected to the SFP in using genuine Cisco SFP-T optics in the EX
boxes.

TL;DR

	It will work, but you may not get link fault data.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net