[j-nsp] JTAC Recommended Junos Software Versions Old?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Apr 29 15:22:15 EDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 9:58 AM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is the JTAC Recommended Junos Software Version for the MX routers
> currently Junos 12.3R8.7? There are much newer versions of JUNOS out there.
> From the posts I have read so far, Junos 12.3 in general has flow and nat
> issues. I assume some of these bugs have been fixed with the latest .x
> versions like R8.7, but still why such an old version?
>
> Is there a guide showing the big changes from 12.3 vs 13.2 vs 13.3 vs 14.1
> vs 14.2. I know there a release notes for all of these versions, but is
> there an outline showing the reason for the jump in version numbers? Most
> of the PR's I have seen show a bug was found and fixed in the current .x of
> most all these versions.

Feature explorer.

http://pathfinder.juniper.net/feature-explorer/

The recco's have to do with overall stability etc....  recco'd
releases tend to be bugfix stage releases rather than active
development.  That doesn't meant they get all bugfixes though.  And
they definitely lag behind "point" for even the associated Major.Minor
version, I'm sure by design.  There might be some official policy on
exactly how they advance or select the recco'd release for a given
platform but I'm not aware of it.

> I notice that the Juniper JTAC recommends Junos 13.3R4.6 for the MX104 and
> PTX series? If Junos 13.3R4.6 is stable enough to run on these platforms,
> then I assume its stable enough to run on the other MX platforms, the MX80
> to be specific?

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler