[j-nsp] Cisco ASR 9001 vs Juniper MX104

Stepan Kucherenko twh at megagroup.ru
Tue Dec 1 12:29:49 EST 2015

My biggest gripe with ASR9k (or IOS XR in particular) is that Cisco
stopped grouping BGP prefixes in one update if they have same attributes
so it's one prefix per update now (or sometimes two).

Transit ISP we tested it with pinged TAC and got a response that it's
"software/hardware limitation" and nothing can be done.

I don't know when this regression happened but now taking full feed from
ASR9k is almost twice as slow as taking it from 7600 with weak RE and
3-4 times slower than taking it from MX.

I'm not joking, test it yourself. Just look at the traffic dump. As I
understand it, it's not an edge case so you must see it as well.

In my case it was 450k updates per 514k prefixes for full feed from
ASR9k, 89k updates per 510k prefixes from 7600 and 85k updates per 516k
prefixes from MX480. Huge difference.

It's not a show stopper but I'm sure it must be a significant impact on
convergence time.