[j-nsp] Cisco ASR 9001 vs Juniper MX104

Stepan Kucherenko twh at megagroup.ru
Wed Dec 2 05:42:18 EST 2015

Should've put it here in the first post, got already asked about it
offlist couple of times.

I was testing it on MX80 with slow RE, so obviously numbers will change
on faster REs but difference will still be there.

~1.5min taking full table from MX480 (nice RE, 85k updates)
~3min from 7600 (old and slow RE, 89k updates)
almost 5min from ASR9k (nice RE, 450k updates)

It'll be even more noticeable when Junos will be able to run rpd on a
dedicated core.

Keep in mind that it's still not actual convergence time, Junos is still
lagging with FIB updates long after that.

Sadly I was unable to find my old convergence test numbers but krt queue
was dissipating for at least couple of minutes after BGP converged. I
case you're wondering if it was the known rpd bug with low krt priority
- no, I tested it after it was fixed. Not that I'd call it "fixed".

And that's what I don't like about MX-es :-) Not sure if it's faster or
slower on ASR9k though.