[j-nsp] EX4200 console port woes

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Thu Dec 31 11:11:30 EST 2015

Hi all,
I have been struggling for the past day to get my EX4200 console ports to work on an MRV LX4000T console server and something is just not right. I'm hoping someone else may have come across this or tell me where I'm being stupid.

I'm using a rolled cable that works fine with the SRX and various Cisco consoles. Console server is configured with 8N1, no flow control, 9600bps, but when I try to connect to the EX, I get gibberish on the screen and framing errors showing up in the port stats on the console server. Pinouts for both the EX and SRX (and I imagine all Juniper gear) are the same:

EX:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/port-ex-series-console-connector-pinout.html

SRX:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/rj45-connector-pinout-srx110-for-console-port.html

I cannot figure out what's going on with the EX. Again, cable has been tested with multiple other kit, so it's not a cable issue AFAIK.

Thanks,
evt