[j-nsp] Experience with QFX5100 13.2 & 14.1

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Jan 16 14:15:28 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 6:43 AM, Tim Jackson <jackson.tim at gmail.com> wrote:
> L3/MPLS LSR - Great experience, one issue currently in 14.1X53-D15 is any
> traffic that would have been sent an ICMP redirect (even with that turned
> off) will be duplicated.. One copy forwarded through the RE, one copy
> through T2 caused by PR1022354 (there are other scenarios that can cause
> this, too.. and this is still unfixed).. I think in 13.x there is an LDP
> bug (PR889585), but it's easy to work around.
>
> L2 - Several issues with it.. DHCPv4 Traffic in I think up to 13.2X53-D25
> in L2 will be silently discarded (punted to the RE as you can see this
> traffic by doing monitor traffic).. 14.1X53-D10+ fixes this (maybe
> 13.2X53-D25). DHCPv6 traffic is still broken in even 14.1X53-D15, no PR for
> that one yet.

Do you have DHCPv4 enabled in any other way?   Ex dhcp-relay?  I ask,
b/c, on an unrelated platform (aaaand entirely different JunOS
versions- MX960s and EX9214s) we ran into - turning on dhcp-relay will
cause them to punt all UDP port 67 traffic.  Even if it's on an
interface that isn't mentioned in the config.  I haven't had a chance
yet to see if that happens to all logical instances or just the LI
that the dhcp-relay or dhcp features are enabled on.  Like I said,
unrelated platform, but, effectively the same thing.

> I've also had several QFX5100-96S boxes reboot without reason (on software
> all the way up to 14.1X53-D10), 0 logs, like they were powered off.. Still
> haven't found the root cause of this one yet, we're suspecting a bad batch
> of hardware possibly.
>
> I have several that are about to enter a mixed L2+L3/MPLS P/PE role soon..
> MC-LAG+L2+L3/MPLS+L3VPN all on a pair.. So far with testing that there
> haven't been any issues outside of the previously mentioned L2 gotchas.
>

> In general the experience has been pretty positive with them outside of a
> few L2 snafus.. I'm also not using the boxes in a traditional DC role,
> these are all SP roles..
>

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:30 AM, Richard Hartmann <
> richih.mailinglist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I was wondering what experience, if any, you have had with QFX5100.
>>
>> Of special interest would be what JunOS version you are running, what
>> features you have enabled, and if you consider them production-ready.
>>

>> This question is open-ended on purpose.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Richard

into trouble of all kinds."