[j-nsp] MPLS VPN BGP Local Convergence

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jan 20 13:49:01 EST 2015

On (2015-01-20 16:57 +0000), Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Is there an equivalent to the "MPLS VPN BGP Local Convergence" feature on Junos please?
> Possibly for non VPN prefixes as well.

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/task/configuration/layer3-vpn-bgp-pic-edge-configuring.html

I don't really recall difference in 'local convergence' and BGP PIC, but I
seem to recall, 'local convergence' didn't install backup path, but
recalculated it when fault occurred.
I don't know if this inferior version is available in JunOS or if you'd even
want to run it, if it were.

<rant>
Unfortunately only for VPN. Why oh why do we have concept of global table and
VRF, INET should in same code path as VRF, with no special treatment. Juniper
still introduced in 14.2 features that work only in global table. This feature
disparity between global and vrf is highly annoying. And I'm sure it adds
development costs to consider these different things. Rather than pay one time
cost to redesign the legacy code, vendors opt to pay for decades to support
the old architecture which things they are different things.
</rant>

--
  ++ytti