[j-nsp] VPN over ADSL With 4G Backup

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Fri Jul 3 13:00:15 EDT 2015

Sorry for the long delay in replies.

>We will have a non RFC1918 IP address at the hub and the spokes will get a
>dynamic IP from the provider through ADSl 2+.

I haven't had to deal with dynamic IPs on SRX ipsec tunnel endpoints as
I've been fortunate that we can maintain enough control of the links to
require statics.  That said, I *believe* this should just change your IKE
gateway configs on the hub to reference a dynamic gateway for each customer
site rather than using a static destination gateway IP, e.g.:

security {
     ike {
         gateway spoke1 {
             ike-policy spoke1-policy;
             dynamic hostname spoke1.example.org;
             external-interface <ike-ext-interface>;
         }
     }
}

Be sure to use aggressive mode in your IKE policy.

>the spokes should have a 4G as backup  for the ADSL2+.
>
>How the backup link should be configured.
>
>I assume at the hub st0.x multipoint will be configured.

There are a few different ways to slice it.  Multipoint at the hub is one
option.  I haven't run a multiple routed IPSEC setup on Junos, so I'm
extrapolating a bit here and hopefully somebody will tell me I'm being an
idiot if I veer to far off course.

If you're doing backup links, running a protocol, I would set up 2x
multipoint VPN interfaces at the hub, banked off of different IPs (could be
the same external interface with multiple IPs bound; use "local-address
a.b.c.d" and "local-identity inet a.b.c.d" under the IKE gateway
definitions on the hub to distinguish the two).  Point the primary link
from the branches to the first multipoint st0.x interface at the hub, and
the secondary branch links at the second multipoint st0.x interface at the
hub.  Set your protocol interface metrics/costs so that the second
multipoint st0.x  at the hub has a higher cost.  If you were to use just
one multipoint st0.x at the hub, the hub would not have a way to
distinguish route preferences between the primary and secondary links.

In terms of backup paths / failover:
Will you route *all* spoke site traffic through the hub?  Or just
inter-site traffic, with e.g. regular public internet traffic going out the
spoke's local provider's gateway?

If the former:
Create static /32 routes for the hub's IKE gateway IPs for the primary and
secondary st0.x multipoint interfaces there (I'll just call them st0.0
(primary) and st0.1 (secondary) from here on).  The /32 route for st0.0's
IKE gateway IP should go via your default gateway on the ADSL interface,
with /32 route for st0.1's IKE gateway IP via the HSPA backup default
gateway.  Actually; given that we're talking about DHCP on the ADSL,
consider putting the ADSL and HSPA interfaces in their own discrete
virtual-router routing-instances so that the 0/0 route picked up from DHCP
on the ADSL gets installed in that VR, and the static 0/0 route for the
HSPA can be isolated into its own VR.

Failover between primary and secondary are then handled by whatever
protocol you run within the st0.x tunnels.

If the latter (VPN tunnels for inter-site traffic only; public internet
traffic egress locally at the branches), you'll still want static routes
config'd on the branches for the 2x different IKE gateway IPs on the hub,
but now you also need to handle failover locally.  My guess is your best
bet for that would be RPM to monitor connectivity across your ADSL
connection and pull that route in case of RPM failure.  I haven't done that
either on a DHCP setup, so YMMV on the details of that implementation.

Hope that helps; I'd be curious to hear how this turns out.

--
Hugo

hugo at slabnet.com: email, xmpp/jabber
PGP fingerprint (B178313E):