[j-nsp] MX104 Limitations

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 10:59:15 EDT 2015

Hi Mark,

Right but I guess the main advantage of 9922 and 9912 is that the switch fabric is modular so one can grow/upgrade until the backplane becomes obsolete.
But on 9904 the fabric seem to be integrated on the RSP so it's the same as 9k10 or 9k6 but yes the fabric is faster indeed.

> So there is a fixed limit to how much traffic the earlier generation can
> handle, while the new chassis have more capacity to stick around longer
> in time, as line cards get faster. Think of the ASR99xx as ASR9000-E's,
> if you may :-).
>
> If it were me, I'd be ASR99xx moving forward. I'd only consider
> ASR9000's if I have restrictive power budgets, or think I'll never need
> to go beyond what they can do today traffic-wise.
>
> > But MX104 can't hold the full internet routing table in forwarding-table so
> it's good only for peering or can it indeed?
>
> Can't it? I've assumed it can. Haven't actually deployed one yet.

Can't find the number now but while searching I did find it's actually 55 to 60Gbps switch capacity so that makes it directly comparable with ASR920 (the 1.5RU) -but no redundancy (though the MX104 redundancy is somewhat crippled by the common switch-fabric -whereas ASR903 has separate RP/SW-fabric)

> > I think MX104 can be a nice small town PE to aggregate the town ring so no
> competition to MX480/960
>
> I'll take the ASR920 for that, Thank You Very Much :-).

Yeah that depends on the rack space, the capacity required and the number of prefixes.
ASR920 is a 1/1.5RU and MX104 is 3.5RU they both have same switch capacity but ASR902 can hold only 20k prefixes in FIB and I guess on MX104 it was over 100k

adam