[j-nsp] MX104 Limitations

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jul 9 11:57:21 EDT 2015

On (2015-07-09 09:45 -0500), Kevin Day wrote:

Hey,

> 1) It’s 3.5U high, making rack planning a little weird, and requiring me to buy a hard to find half-U blank panel

It is targeting metro applications, where racks often are telco racks. job-1
and job-2 were thrilled to get MX104 form-factor, MX80 was very problematic
and lead to 'creative' installations.

> 2) It uses unusual power connectors on its power supplies, so you have to plan to buy special power cords just for this.

It's standard C15/C16 which is temperature enchanced (120c) version of
standard C13/C14. Lot of vendors are doing that these days, I'd like to
understand why. Is there some new recommendation for fire safety or what has
triggered the change.

> 3) The Routing Engine CPU is a little slow for commits

Yes, however still slightly beefier than MX80.

> We’re just treating it like an MX240/480/960 that has a pair of MPC’s built in, and a bonus 4x10G MIC.

The aggregate traffic rates won't exceed 75Gbps/55Mpps, while MX240 with pair
of MPC2 would be four time the lookup performance and double the memory
bandwidth. So treating it exactly the same will only work in environment which
is using capacity sparingly (like metro often does, if your metro legs are
20Gbps, then you usually won't see more traffic)

--
  ++ytti