[j-nsp] RE switch master to backup

Ross Halliday ross.halliday at wtccommunications.ca
Tue Jul 21 17:10:23 EDT 2015

> Gents,
>
> has anybody seen a dual RE MX gear switch the routing engine master to
> backup due to a “possibly bad console cable” ?

> Jul  1 11:21:29.941 2015  MX480LON_0 init: getty repeating too quickly on
> port /dev/ttyd0, sleeping 30 secs

Did you happen to find a resolution for this? That message seems the most telling as to why it would fail over.

On Sun servers there used to be a way cool method to get them to reboot: Send a trillion BREAKs over the console. Same thing could happen if you rebooted your console device a few times, or, indeed, if the cable was bad. I'm not sure if JUNOS operates like this internally, but as they have common BSD roots it could be related.

Cheers
Ross