[j-nsp] MX480 Build

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 09:24:34 EDT 2015

I am considering buying a used MX480. It will have the following:

1x MX480-PREMIUM-AC - MX480 Base system with redundant RE-2000, SCB, and AC
power

2x DPCE-R-4XGE-XFP - 4x10GE Enhanced DPC for MX, requires optics sold
separately

1 x Juniper MS-DPC - IP services line card for MX Series Requires Junos OS
Release 9.3 and later

Assuming we have the latest software version from Juniper to install on
this used box, is there anything we should know about this potential setup?
I believe this DPC cards are EOL, but I think many people are still using
them. I know there are more dense MIC cards out there, but that is not
needed at this time.

I think everything about this system is redundant besides the MS-DPC, but I
could get another one of those too.

Are there any licensing restrictions or upgrade restrictions I should be
aware of? Does Juniper have any locks or software limitations on these
larger routers like they do on the MX-5 through MX-80 and MX 104?

Besides the chassis size and power consumption anything we should know or
consider deciding between a MX 240, MX480, and MX960? It seems the MX240 is
too small for our needs, so its really the MX480 vs MX960.

I would be upgrading from a MX80, so this is quite a jump.