[j-nsp] MX480 Build

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Jul 25 12:26:25 EDT 2015

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015, Colton Conor wrote:

> So how redundant an reliable would a MX480 be with two RE-2000's, 2 SCB's,
> and 4 AC power supplies? I know in the ideal world there would be two of
> these, but due to budget that is not an option. What have you seen fail on
> MX480's?

At $dayjob, we replaced our old border routers with a pair of MX480s about
a year ago.  Aside from one linecard that arrived DOA (replaced quickly
and hassle-free by Juniper), and a BGP-related code bug in the version we
initially deployed, the boxes have been completely solid.

Two MX480s, each with a pair of SCB-Es, RE-S-1800s, two MPC3Ds with 4x10G
MICs, and 4 power supplies.  One also has a 2x100G/8x10G MPC4E blade.
These boxes handle multiple full IPv4 and IPv6 BGP feeds in two separate
routing instances with a relatively complex routing policy with no major
issues.

We're currently running Junos 12.3R8.7, which has been stable in our
environment.

jms