[j-nsp] Junos power-off not graceful

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Wed Jul 29 09:59:59 EDT 2015

Once upon a time, james list <jameslist72 at gmail.com> said:
> A customer of mine has in production MX480, SRX3600 (cluster via WAN L2
> among the two DC), EX8200 in all of the two DC and is asking me a
> confirmation that it is currently possible to simulate a Disaster Recovery
> issue just powering-off the devices without correct halting.

We have a customer with an MX80 and highly unreliable power.  The MX80
has been "uncleanly" powered off a number of times (including about 5:30
this morning) and has had no problem.

AFAIK the "clean" shutdown just does a shutdown of FreeBSD on the
routing engine (like shutting down any other Unix-like system).  Not
shutting it down cleanly can mean FreeBSD has to check the filesystem on
boot, which could add a short time to the next boot, but should not
cause any significant problems (I think it is set up with a logging or
journaled filesystem, which resists unclean-shutdown corruption).  You
might have some garbled log files on the drive, as data wasn't all
flushed, but there aren't other files typically being actively written,
so everything else should be fine.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>