[j-nsp] BGP Route Reflectors

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jun 1 06:57:03 EDT 2015

On 1/Jun/15 10:42, Raphael Mazelier wrote:

> I suppose that is refering to the two main mode of design for RRs :
>
> - data traffic pass trough the RR, in band RR
> - data paths are not trought the RR, out of band RR

The "right" terminology would be "in-path" or "out-of-path". But I
suppose "*-band" works just the same.

In-path is basically where the RR is an active traffic-forwarding
router, typically your core routers. These makes sense because control
plane topology would also follow forwarding plane topology.

Out-of-path would be where the RR is an independent router through which
traffic is never forwarded. It can sit anywhere in the network, and
provide routing to its clients anywhere in the network.

Mark.