[j-nsp] AP oddness

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Tue Jun 2 14:03:11 EDT 2015

On 06/02/2015 01:23 PM, Jonathan Call wrote:
> - Have you double checked that the APs are configured with an identical set
> of profiles on all radios?
>
> - Are you terminating end user traffic at the AP via a local switching
> profile, or tunelling everything back to the controller (the default)? If the
> latter, the only thing that the EX4200 port configuration is relevant to is
> the AP getting back to the controller.
>
> And here is where trusting/using the web interface bit me. The affected (and new) APs were missing the correct traffic termination since we put the authenticated users into their respective VLANs directly from the APs:
>
> set ap XX local-switching mode enable vlan-profile company-operations
>
> As far as I can tell this mode can only be configured via the CLI.

Unless you're really concerned about your user traffic hairpinning through the
controller, I would personally avoid using local termination.  Controller
termination has always worked out well for us, and seems to be much simpler
from a configuration standpoint.

> - Have you verified that the users are actually ending up on the right VLAN
> via "show sessions network"?
>
> Yep. All of this was working smoothly.
>
> - What code rev are you on? I had quite a few problems during the brief
> time I ran 9.1, so I'd recommend the latest 9.0 release (MR4, I believe).
>
> We're on 8.0.4.3.0, does 9.0 perform better? The both the GUI and SSH connections are incredible unstable on our WLC.

I don't remember all of the exact versions, but there were also a lot of crash
happy ones for us in the 8.0 releases.  I'd personally say either the recent
9.0 (MR3 or newer), or stick back to the 7.x releases, but avoid anything
outside of those.

Long term, of course, I'd strongly recommend jumping off of Juniper, as
they've pretty much given up on the wireless game.  We're in the early stages
of switching to Aruba, and we're pretty happy so far.

--
Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.