[j-nsp] MPLS label stack limits on MX line cards

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jun 3 02:14:04 EDT 2015

On 2/Jun/15 13:05, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Yeah I could see that the limit is 3 and can be increased to 5 –but what does the limit limits is the question? :)
>
> Does it limit the number of labels that can be imposed on to a packet at once by a LSR?
> Does it limit the number of labels that can be pop-ed from a packet at once by a LSR?
> Does it limit the number of labels that can be used in hashing algo?
> Or does it just foolishly limits the number of labels in a label stack because Juniper made a bold statement saying no one will ever need more than 5 labels in a label stack and makes the effort to check if the fifth label does have the EOS bit set and if it doesn’t the packet must have indeed been corrupted thus it will be dropped? :)

When I ran NG-MVPN at previous employer, the router logged it exceeding
the 3-label limit on an M320, but that never affected service.

Considering those were pre-mLDP days, label depth would certainly have
been beyond 3x, but I didn't look into it too much as we had other
pressing issues to deal with and this error record was not
service-impacting.

Mark.