[j-nsp] <COS Query> While imposing MPLS labels what value is set on EXP bits

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Wed Mar 4 05:10:17 EST 2015

Hi Amarjeet,

The documentation is a bit unclear on this but it appears that on Juniper MX Trio the default behaviour is that the IP precedence bits are written into the EXP field when an EXP rewrite rules are not in place so to get a predictable behaviour you should be using an explicit MPLS rewrite rules on all core-facing interfaces.
However Juniper M and T series have some predefined default MPLS EXP rewrite rules according to a default BA classifier rules.
You can manually apply a rewrite rule to MPLS and IPv4 packet headers simultaneously.
But by default (and that is a good practice) customer IP precedence markings are untouched while the IP packets are traversing MPLS backbone.
Though one think I'm not sure is if the EXP bits are set on all imposed labels by or just the top label by default.

adam