[j-nsp] Activating FPC's on an EX8208

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Mar 5 23:33:43 EST 2015

MX960 is different than MX480 and MX240  WRT the power requirements,
it also differs for high power stuff (All newer chassis) IIRC.  Two
zones, not one big zone, two 1+1 redundant zones,  PEM 0/2 and 1/3.

Zoning or no zoning depends on your *chassis* not your PSUs.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:30 AM, Tom Storey <tom at snnap.net> wrote:
> Interesting, Ive got a couple of MX960's with high line AC PEMs in front of
> me, and if I only turn one of them on, I only get half a router powered up.
> As far as I know, there is still zoning with high line AC PEMs.
>
> PEM0 and PEM2 supply one half of the router (slots 0-5 and RE0 and one fan
> tray), and PEM1 and PEM3 the other half (RE1 and slots 6-11 and the other
> fan tray) - as I understand it.
>
> So we do PEM0 and PEM1 as A feeds and PEM2 and PEM3 as B feeds, therefore
> if you lose A or B the router keeps running with all slots.
>
> So 2 may be mandatory, but you have to do one for each zone.
>
> Smaller boxes like MX240 we can power entirely with a single PEM.
>
> On 5 March 2015 at 13:01, Kevin Wormington <kworm at sofnet.com> wrote:
>
>> That's right the power zones are only for DC power.  AC has only one zone,
>> but according to the link below 2 high line AC supplies are mandatory and 3
>> low-line.  I guess it might come up on a single high line depending on what
>> line cards you have.
>>
>> http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-
>> independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/calculating-power-
>> requirements-mx480.html

>>> For the MX routers, I think this is only if you run DC or the AC low
>>> power units (i.e., 120VAC).
>>>
>>> IIRC, a single 240VAC PSU on an MX should be able to drive an entire MX
>>> chassis, non?
>>>
>>> Mark.

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler