[j-nsp] Proxmox with Multicast & Juniper EX

Jeff Meyers Jeff.Meyers at gmx.net
Fri Mar 20 11:27:27 EDT 2015

Hi list,

I hope to get some experience and tips from you regarding the usage of a
Proxmox cluster using Multicast in a (juniper-based) network. Since our
multicast experience is quite low and was never required before Proxmox
became quickly popular and is meanwhile widely used by our customer, we
are a little stuck here. The situation is as follows:

Proxmox cluster communicates using multicast between the nodes being a
member of the cluster. This works so far with the default configuration
(igmp-snooping enabled on Juniper EX for all vlans, nothing further
configured) if the nodes are on the same device. It is not working in
the following setup:

                          MX480    MX80
                            |       |
                          +-----------+
                          | EX4550-VC |
                          +-----------+
       |--------------------|       |--------------------|
+-----------+                                     +-----------+
| EX4200-VC |                                     | EX4200-VC |
+-----------+                                     +-----------+
    |     |                                               |
Node 1   |                                             Node 3
        Node 2

Node 1 & Node 2 see each other but they don't see Node 3. It doesn't
matter on which EX4200 Node 1 & 2 are placed, it always works locally
but doesn't as soon as data has to travel through the EX4550
core-switch. Most likely a solution would be to simply disable
igmp-snooping on the EX4550 for the vlans, where I have to have a
working multicast communication. I'd really like to avoid that since we
are using vlan-range configurations instead of explicitly configuration
each vlan but the latter is required, in order to disable igmp-snooping
for just this specific vlan.

I am mostly confused why the packets passing the core makes a difference
at all. For my understanding, igmp-snooping inspects the communication
and passes multicast traffic to exactly those who shall receive it. Why
isn't this working? I read that this requires an icmp querier. Would it
help to configure that querier on one of the routers (it's two routers
because of VRRP)? Can anyone explain why it is working on a local switch
but not anymore as soon as a 2nd switch is involved in the path?

Hopefully some of you guys are working with setups like this as well and
can help to solve our issue.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff