[j-nsp] Buying a used Juniper

Scott scttlists at gmail.com
Tue May 5 17:42:44 EDT 2015

For kit that is used in a production environment I would always recommend
having an active support contract on it.
Even if you can source software elsewhere, it is not legit. At that point
you are violating Juniper's terms.
Secondly, knowing that you can fall back on JTAC in case of issues, is
critical on production gear imho.

If you have to shell out 2000 bucks a few times a year when you need JTAC
or software, you will be better (and cheaper) off with a support contract.

If pricing is really important to you, you might consider looking at new or
nob (new open box) which I suspect will be cheaper to get support contracts
on compared to old and used gear. It's best to check that with a Juniper
vendor to make sure.
Scott