[j-nsp] EVPN

Matt Bernstein mb+jnsp at bernstein.org.uk
Wed May 6 07:13:41 EDT 2015

On 05/05/2015 15:48, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 05:53:54PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> Is anyone doing EVPN in production yet?
> I take it from the deafening silence that either no one is doing EVPN
> in production, or no one is willing to admit it.
You could ask me again in a few months :)

I'm looking at a 10Gb/s L2 DCI over the Internet. EVPN (I think MPLSoGRE
pseudowires), then over IPsec, using active/active MX240 routers in each
location. Looks elegant on paper, although if our PoC turns up any
gremlins we can fall back to boring (but obviously less elegant)
VPLSoGREoIPsec.

I can report back here, hopefully before August, if people find it
interesting. _I_ will be particularly interested in the encryption
latency tax, given that without dedicated circuits latency is already
potentially an issue.

I will also be interested to see if anything cheap can do low-bandwidth
encrypted EVPN; this might help those few corner-cases where people
insist on a VLAN over our L3 campus fabric. The SRX100 can do
VPLSoGREoIPsec, but again EVPN strikes me as more elegant.

Matt