[j-nsp] Multi Core on JUNOS?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 8 14:16:34 EDT 2015

On 8/May/15 20:08, Colton Conor wrote:
> So are the other vendors, Brocade, Cisco and ALU all single core in
> software as well, or is this just a Juniper thing? Whats the point of
> having all these cores on the RE's if you unable to use be one of them?

I can't speak to Brocade or ALU, but it's just about the same in Cisco land.

IOS XR should see more improvement as they transition from QNX to Linux
for the NCS (especially since they plan to support IOS XR VM's on the
NCS control plane). But I don't expect that to back-port to the CRS;
maybe to the ASR9000 at some point.

IOS XE uses multiple cores in the data plane, but now that I think about
it, I haven't delved into what their strategy for the RP is. I should ask.

I guess I have been less keen on Cisco's side of things because over the
years, they have re-written IOS (and by extension, IOS XE) to improve
the routing performance tremendously, even on non-Intel platforms. RPD
in Junos has suffered for a long time, and I think improvements there -
first and foremost - are what most of us are waiting for.

Mark.