[j-nsp] Multi Core on JUNOS?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri May 8 14:18:49 EDT 2015

On 8/May/15 20:12, Chris Morrow wrote:
> yes, mostly (not xr I think, if I recall correctly)

One my biggest frustrations about IOS XR is the use of QNX on the CRS
and ASR9000. So you end up with an RP that has greater than 4GB of RAM,
and yet you can't access it.

IOS XR over Linux on the NCS will be the answer, but I'm nowhere near
the capacity of my CRS-X platform, so... then again, a BGP-free core
means my control plane memory is well under control on those boxes, but
we do have ASR9001's that do quite a bit of peering, so one has to think
about that.
> can't buy a single core intel/amd chip anymore?

This is also true.

It's not like the vendors have a choice nowadays anyway.

Mark.