[j-nsp] Counter on subinterface on EX

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon May 11 05:31:32 EDT 2015

On 11/May/15 11:11, Raphael Mazelier wrote:

> I've just realized there is another pretting annoying problem with EX
> series. It seems that is was not possible to count passing in
> subinterface (or vlan interface) on EX.
>
> Quoting the documentation :
>
> "Note: For logical interfaces on EX Series switches, the traffic
> statistics fields in show interfaces commands show only control
> traffic; the traffic statistics do not include data traffic. "
>
> This make me in real trouble for billing, as I mixed customers vlan(s)
> on physical ports in my architecture...
>
> I wonder if someone ever faced this problem, and if there is some king
> of workarround. The goal is to monitoring traffic, and billing.

We have seen this on our EX4550 switches.

The uplink toward the upstream routers is an 802.1Q LAG, where the aeX
interface graphs actual traffic, but the aeX.Y interface just graphs
control traffic.

It never occurred to me that this was an issue since we do not use the
EX switches for routing. But I can see how this could be a problem for
you if you are offering services directly off the EX switch.

FWIW, SVI interfaces on Cisco switches work the same way. One would have
to track traffic hitting the interface that the SVI is attached to, and
not the SVI itself. On platforms such as the ME3600X/3800X and ASR920,
Cisco use EVC (which can be considered sub-interfaces called EFP's), but
these come with special SNMP counting capability that treats them as
physical interfaces which will count actual customer traffic.

Mark.