[j-nsp] Junos upgrade how to

Matt Bernstein mb+jnsp at bernstein.org.uk
Mon May 25 15:54:34 EDT 2015

On 25/05/2015 15:17, james list wrote:
> 5) SRX5k and 3k cluster with dual RE (12.1X44), if I want to run ISSU do
> I've to download new Junos image on all the RE ?
No.

First read
<http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB17946&pmv=print>.
<http://forums.juniper.net/t5/SRX-Services-Gateway/Anybody-using-ISSU-on-High-End/m-p/151044#M19453>
might help you too.

I've had success on the SRX3600 ISSU-ing from X44 to X47. It takes quite
a long time, well over an hour ISTR, and will grumble at you
mid-procedure though if there's something it doesn't like (eg empty
redundancy groups). So ask for a long maintenance window.

Finally, although my experience of ISSU is that it is in-service, you
might have some fun with routing protocol flaps--and BFD on SRX3k is not
recommended on less than a 2.5 second detect time.

Hope that helps. Tread carefully first time.

Matt