[j-nsp] NG-MVPN + Anycast RP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Nov 1 01:20:14 EDT 2015

On 31/Oct/15 22:27, Marco Marzetti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is PIM-based Anycast RP (RFC4610) supposed to work in an NG-MVPN
> routing instance?
>
> I mean, let's just say that a PE receives a BGP route type 6 from
> another router and installs the equivalent PIM join in the control plane.
> Is this PE supposed to relay (actually send) that join to the other
> PEs in its rp-set through PIM?

Been a while since I touch this, but yes.

However, we used BGP to setup the Anycast RP scenario. So several Sender
PE routers all advertised the RP address, but we used LOCAL_PREF to
decide which one was responsible for being chosen as the RP. This was
before the days of UMH.

These days, I'd go SSM anyway, although the Anycast RP with NG-MVPN
worked really well (and probably still does since I left that organization).

Mark.