[j-nsp] Suggestions on management of dual-RE devices

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 17:41:11 EST 2015

Relevant config snippet/stanzas:

## Last commit: 2015-11-24 16:03:02 EST by me
version 13.3R6.5;
groups {
    re0 {
        interfaces {
            fxp0 {
                unit 0 {
                    family inet {
                        address 172.xx.xx.1/24 {
                            master-only;
                        }
                        address 172.xx.xx.2/24;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
    re1 {
        interfaces {
            fxp0 {
                unit 0 {
                    family inet {
                        address 172.xx.xx.1/24 {
                            master-only;
                        }
                        address 172.xx.xx.3/24;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}
apply-groups [ re0 re1 ];

note the 'master-only" directive. You then SNMP/SSH/etc... to the proverbial '.1' address, which always goes to the master RE; whichever one is active.

Hope that helps.!

- Ck.