[j-nsp] convert config from m120 to mx480

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Oct 2 16:13:50 EDT 2015

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015, David B Funk wrote:

> We have a venerable m120 that's being used as an edge router in our
> department on campus. We've recently acquired an mx480 as a replacement.
>
> I'm trying to decide the best way to port the m120 config to the mx480;
> Either a pretty much straight up port (strictly a L3 device) or try
> to convert it to a L2/L3 config that can utilize some of the switching
> features of the mx480.
>
> Anybody have suggestions or advice for this scenario?

We replaced a pair of M120s at our border with MX480s a little over a year
ago.  Large chunks of the config will port over cleanly, but there are
some gotchas:

1. slot/card/interface naming and numbering might be different, depending
on the type of cards you have and how things are physically laid out.
2. The sampling configuration is completely different going from the M
series to the MX series.  This can also change on the MX platform,
depending on which version of code you're running.
3. There are some licensing differences to take into account as well, if
this hasn't been done already.

The preparation for the cutover took a long time, but the actual cut was
relatively painless, other than a sampling bug we triggered in the version
of code that we were recommended to use at that time (12.3R6.6 I think -
we have since upgraded).

jms