[j-nsp] Multi Core on JUNOS?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Oct 9 10:03:49 EDT 2015

On 9 October 2015 at 16:45, Adam Chappell <adam.chappell at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Adam,

> I can imagine that making rpd MT is probably hard to the point of almost not
> being worth the benefit (with current REs), unless one can adequately break

Yeah I can imagine there are tons of problems in the legacy code which
make concurrency hard. And as it's large company, probably very hard
to find person who is going to drive internally any huge refactoring,
chance of failure vs. reward on success does not make sense in career
terms. So the thread stuff they are doing, probably is extremely
complex and thus fragile. But hopefully I'm just being negative.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be sensible investment to always keep
on your payroll team of 3-6 competent people who are given greenfield
to solve particular problem, insurance towards if your main
development efforts fail.

> I'm quite intrigued by the tidbit in the Juniper docs, though, that suggests
> that switching from a 32-bit to a 64-bit rpd is not service affecting though
> which means that the wait-and-see approach is viable?  Or am I totally
> misunderstanding this?

Switching definitely is service affecting, rpd process will be
replaced by another rpd process, completely different binary.

--
  ++ytti