[j-nsp] Asymmetric Routing

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Oct 13 09:07:49 EDT 2015

On 13/Oct/15 15:04, Chad Levy wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> The default gateway of the machine is the EX4500.
>
> I have since tried another scenario. If I place both ISPs on the same
> MX80, and the same asymmetric route exists on the ingress and egress,
> there is no longer an issue with connectivity. I only have an issue
> when the ingress and egress paths traverse different MX80 devices.

I have a suspicion that the routes you are receiving from either
provider are not equal.

A couple of solutions I'd try:

    1. Keep the switch Layer 2 only. Run VRRP on the MX80's and point
the PC to the VIP address for the default gateway.
    2. Keep Layer 3 on the switch, but have a default route pointing to
your providers on each upstream on each MX80.

For 2), above, I assume each MX80 already has the /30 route covering the
PC (via OSPF, you mentioned, yes?)...

Mark.