[j-nsp] authentication failure in case of configuration archival over scp

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:12:37 EDT 2015

Stacy,

I configured SSH server(OpenSSH) to log both the user name and
password for all the successful and unsuccessful authorization
attempts and turned out, that Juniper router sends an empty string as
a password. I guess Junos uses FreeBSD scp utility for configuration
archival if following configuration is used:

configuration {
    transfer-on-commit;
    archive-sites {
        "scp://juniper@backupserver:/home/juniper/configbackups"
password "$9$2joDkf5F9tOik0IhcMWGDjq5Q"; ## SECRET-DATA
    }
}

If yes, then Junos probably provides an empty password string to scp.
Underlying XML also holds the correct obfuscated password, i.e. as far
as I can tell, the password in configuration is correct. I also tried
with other passwords, but the router still sends an empty string. How
to troubleshoot this further? Has anyone seen such behavior(possibly a
bug) before?

thanks,
Martin