[j-nsp] Juniper branded Sumitomo Optics

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Sep 17 20:13:42 EDT 2015

They both are. -Inf just means it's below the RX detectable level. Ambient
light can hit the RX and get you some light level measurement even when not
connected to a TX. If you've a black solid plug covering the optic and
still getting -20dBm that's kind of odd though.

On Thursday, September 17, 2015, Bill Blackford <bblackford at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm seeing an inconsistent behavior. I have two Juniper branded XFP (LR)
> made by Sumitomo inserted into a chassis, but are not configured nor
> connected. Looking at the light levels, I see
>
> Laser rx power         0.0098 mW / -20.09 dBm     and similar for the
> other.
>
> Now, other optics I have in the same chassis, also not configured nor
> connected, show
>
> Laser rx power         0.0000 mW / -Inf dBm
>
> I would suspect the second behavior (that of the non-Sumitomo's) should be
> correct, expected.
>
> My question is, which of these behaviors is correct and does it matter?
>
> Thank you,
>

> --
> Bill Blackford
>
> Logged into reality and abusing my sudo privileges.....

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler