[j-nsp] EX4300 and full-duplex-only

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 23 09:47:54 EDT 2015

On 23/09/15 14:38, Peter Tavenier wrote:

> There is only a note of duplex, not about the speed:

Indeed.

> Note: On EX4300 switches, the interfaces operate in full duplex mode only.
>
> I do see on a EX4300 some links in 100Mb and 1000Mb, don’t have 10Mb devices attached.
>
> Not sure why this is.

If you mean "why it's only duplex limitations", I'm guessing the device
is missing the collision-detect/retransmit hardware for cost reasons.
10/half is pretty rare these days and, in theory, they're pitched as a
datacentre device (though we have an IBM tape library which is 10/half
on it's management port).

You can force the link up by disabling autoneg, but that comes up
duplex-mismatched - 10/full at the EX end, 10/half at the device end.

All very disappointing; we did not think to specify "must comply with
IEEE 802.3" in the RFP :o/