[j-nsp] remove-private for iBGP session

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Sun Sep 27 12:09:12 EDT 2015

Hello Cydon,

> Of Cydon Satyr
> Sent: Saturday, September 26, 2015 12:35 PM
>
> Hello,
>
> I was under the impression that remove-private works for eBGP sessions, as
> it does on Cisco routers (if my memory serves me right).
>
> But I notices that remove-private on a PE router would remove private AS
> (from customer's vrf bgp session) before sending it to a route reflector.
>
> Is this normal behavior, or I'm missing something?
>
> Regards

It's not normal according to the RFC4271 section 5.1.2.a

5.1.2.  AS_PATH

>snip

   When a BGP speaker propagates a route it learned from another BGP
   speaker's UPDATE message, it modifies the route's AS_PATH attribute
   based on the location of the BGP speaker to which the route will be
   sent:

      a) When a given BGP speaker advertises the route to an internal
         peer, the advertising speaker SHALL NOT modify the AS_PATH
         attribute associated with the route.

      b) When a given BGP speaker advertises the route to an external
         peer, the advertising speaker updates the AS_PATH attribute as
         follows:

>snip

There are other attributes (e.g. MED springs to mind) that can't be modified or set on iBGP sessions.

For iBGP to iBGP (on a RR)
On XR you can modify all attributes only when cmd "ibgp policy out enforce-modifications"
Because by default:
In addition, when a RR reflects a route, it SHOULD NOT modify the
   following path attributes: NEXT_HOP, AS_PATH, LOCAL_PREF, and MED.
   Their modification could potentially result in routing loops.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.