[j-nsp] exception traffic types for Juniper routers

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:39:26 EDT 2015

Hi,

as I understand, there are several different exception traffic types:

1) unicast traffic addressed to router itselt. For example telnet, SSH
or SNMP traffic. I guess it is technically correct to say that
"incoming frames which have one of the router interfaces MAC addresses
as a destination MAC address are exception traffic"?

2) IPv4 packets with options set. IPv6 packets with extension headers?

3) Packets requiring the generation of an ICMP error message. For
example if IPv4/IPv6 packet comes in with TTL/hop-limit 1, then router
has to send ICMP error message to destination.

Are there any other exception traffic types? When is broadcast and
multicast traffic handled as exception traffic?

thanks,
Martin