[j-nsp] nat / cg nat / vrf aware nat (pe nat)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Sep 30 02:13:36 EDT 2015

On 30/Sep/15 00:17, Josh Hoppes wrote:

> For  CG-NAT you're likely going to be looking at the MS-MIC or MS-MPC
> in an MX and a license for the function. The smaller MX (MX80 and
> MX104) can use the MS-MIC if you're looking for something with a
> smaller footprint. I'm not certain of any limitations as I've not
> deployed it.

To add, the community has been accustomed to running NAT on Cisco
routers for decades, and so it can come as a surprise when certain
hardware built for a specific purpose from Cisco does not have NAT
supported, as there are fewer and fewer software-based routers targeted
at the service provider market from Cisco nowadays.

Juniper have always supported their features in hardware from Day One
(until, of course, the J-series routers). So as with the Cisco of today,
you will need an MS-MIC or MS-DPC to run NAT on a Juniper MX platform
(or the equivalent MS-PIC/AS-PIC for the older M- and T-series routers).

I'm not an SRX user, but I suppose NAT should be inherently supported in
there as well.

Mark.